PARIS 2024 PARALYMPIC GAMES - Sitting Volleyball
- About the Competition
Two gold medals will be at stake at Paris 2024 Paralympic Games in the men’s and women’s competitions.
The sitting volleyball competition at Paris 2024 will feature eight teams in each of the men’s and women’s competitions, with qualification through continental events. The sitting volleyball events will take place between the 29th of August and the 7th of September 2024.
Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Player Eligibility
To be eligible as a player for the 2024 Paris Paralympics, players must have competed in a World ParaVolley sanctioned competition between 1 January 2022 and 30 June 2024.
Recognised sanctioned competitions are World ParaVolley events, Zone Championships and Regional Paralympic Games. These include:
2022 World Championships
2023 Zone Championships (PVA, PVPA, PVAO and PVE)
2023 World Cup
2023 Asia Para Games, African Para Games, Para PanAm Games
2024 Final Paralympic Qualifier
2023 Women’s World Super 6
2023 / 2024 Men’s World Super 6 (subject to confirming a host and event dates)
The Venue – The North Paris Arena
North Paris Arena is located in the Villepinte exhibition centre in Seine-Saint-Denis. This venue will host the preliminary rounds of the boxing events and the fencing ranking round of the modern pentathlon event during the Olympic Games, as well as the sitting volleyball events during the Paralympic Games.
Paralympic Games Event Gold Silver Bronze Arnhem 1980 M Netherlands Sweden Yugoslavia Stoke Mandeville & New York 1984 M Netherlands FR Germany Sweden Seoul 1988 M Iran Netherlands Norway Barcelona 1992 M Iran Netherlands Germany Atlanta 1996 M Iran Norway Finland Sydney 2000 M Iran Bosnia & Herzegovina Finland Athens 2004 M Bosnia & Herzegovina Iran Egypt Athens 2004 W China Netherlands United States Beijing 2008 M Iran Bosnia & Herzegovina Russia Beijing 2008 W China United States Netherlands London 2012 M Bosnia & Herzegovina Iran Germany London 2012 W China United States Ukraine Rio 2016 M Iran Bosnia & Herzegovina Egypt Rio 2016 W United States China Brazil Tokyo 2020 M Iran RPC Bosnia & Herzegovina Tokyo 2020 W United States China Brazil Paris 2024 M Paris 2024 W
Specific Competition Regulations (not yet available)
Paris 2024 Paralympic Games Qualification Process
Men Women Host France France World Championships Iran Brazil PVA Zone Championships PVAO Zone Championships Kazakhstan China PVE Zone Championships Bosnia and Herzegovina Italy PVPA Zone Championships Brazil United States World Cup Canada Paris 2024 Final Qualification Tournaments
The qualified teams for Paris 2024 are as follows:
- France as host is automatically qualified.
- Iran (M) and Brazil (W) have qualified from the 2022 World Championships.
- Brazil (M) and United States (W) have qualified from the Pan American Zonal Championships.
- Kazakhstan (M) and China (W) have qualified from the Asian Zonal Championships.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina (M) and Italy (W) have qualified from the European Zonal Championships.
- Canada (W) have qualified from the 2023 World Cup.
The remaining positions will be determined by:
- Africa – Winner (M) and Winner (W) Zonal Championships
- World Cup (Egypt) – The WPV World Cup is one of World ParaVolley’s premier events, sitting alongside the WPV World Championships. The fundamental principle of the WPV World Cup is that participation is open to all World ParaVolley member nations in good standing. In contrast, the World Championships require qualification. The winners of the Mens and Womens WPV World Cup carry equivalent status as the winners of the World Championships. Like the World Championships, the WPV World Cup also offers one team of each gender the opportunity to qualify for the Paralympic Games. However, the prime objective of this premier event, is to crown the WPV World Cup champions, and therefore the allocation to pools and competition structure will be undertaken with the focus on the WPV World Cup, and there will be no consideration given to whether any team has already qualified for the Paralympic Games. World Rankings will include the results of all completed 2023 Zonal Championships. The qualification opportunity will be awarded to the highest ranked teams that have not already secured a qualification spot via the 2022 World Championship or one of the four Zonal Championships as determined at the completion of the World Cup. In men’s qualification, while Egypt are the highest non-qualified team at the World Cup, the qualified position to the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games will not be determined until the outcome of the PVA Zonal Championships in early 2024.
- Final Qualification Event (3-10 April, Dali, China) – The WPV Final Qualifier is a World ParaVolley invitational event, designed with the objective to fill the last remaining qualification spot for the Paralympic Games. As such invitations to enter into the Final Qualifier are targeted at the eight (8) teams (including the host), not yet qualified as a result of the WPV World Championships, WPV World Cup, and Zonal Championship opportunities. Initial invitations will be offered to those teams that finished second and third in their Zonal Qualification events, with the remaining invitations based on WPV World Rankings. At least one position will be reserved for an African team, as the African Zonal qualification event will not be held until early 2024. This principle supports those teams that have been “active” in their Zones as determined by World ParaVolley. As the host of the Final Qualifier (for Women) has already qualified, they will not participate in the final stage of the competition. The Final Qualifier must be completed by mid-April 2024 to meet the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games entry timeline.