The 2016 World ParaVolley Intercontinental gets underway in just under two weeks! Teams are making their final preparations and the venue setup is well underway.
Here are some ‘Intercontinental Facts’ – to view them in a really great graphic click HERE.
- A record number of teams – 28
- 18 different countries
- over 300 athletes
- 13 of the 14 already Rio-qualified teams entered (7 women and 6 men).
- 15 teams going for 2 Rio spots (one male one female)
- 99 matches over 7 days
Format: Rio qualified teams will play against each other and non-qualified teams will play against each other (both men and women) in separate groups due to the large number of teams entered. Thus all 4 groups will play round robins. Then the Rio qualified teams play 1v4 and 2v3 semi-finals and winners play for the IC gold, losers for bronze. The non-qualified teams play 1v2 at the end of the round robin (M+W).
Venue: Zhe Jiang Anji Longshan Sports Centre (3 competition courts and 3 warm-up courts + training courts)
- Non-qualified Men: RUS, UKR, NED, IRQ, KAZ, POL, CAN, KOR, JPN
- Rio Qualified Men: CHN, GER, IRI, EGY, BRA, USA
- Non-qualified Women: SLO, NED, RUS, JPN, EGY, ITA
- Rio Qualified Women: RWA, CHN, IRI, UKR, CAN, BRA, USA
17 to 23 March, inclusive